The Charlotte Villa 1 building was originally constructed around 1923. For most of its life it served as the High School, and more recently as an Elementary School. In the late 70’s, Nelson Capital Development, Inc. began meeting with an contingent of elderly activists who wished to have eldery housing in Sinclairville, and in that building. Nelson Capital was asked to make their wish happen, and it was successful in doing so. This was the first housing project for Nelson Capital, and for the elderly activists it was the beginning of what was to become known as the Sinclairville 76r’s for Better Living, Inc. That organization continues to work in the community serving the elderly population. Looking at the building picture to the right, the now two story section houses eight apartments, it was previously the Gym/Multi-purpose area. The lower floor of the story section was the Library, Locker Rooms, and Maintenance areas. The Community Room was said to have been where heating coal was received, and the two upper floors were classrooms.
The Charlotte was rehabilitated and converted to elderly housing during 1979 and 1980. It formally opened its doors to tenants September 1, 1980.
To qualify according to income, a single person must receive $18,300 or less. A couple must receive $20,940 or less per year. A waiting list is kept for each location. Interested prospective tenants are encouraged to contact the Management Agent for the location in which they have an interest and complete the required steps to determine eligibility and be placed on the list.